Wednesday, February 11, 2009

One With The Bar

Being "One With The Bar". Understanding that the bar and oneself are truly one in the same. It is about conquering one's own daemons and limitations. It is about setting Personal Records (PRs) while still engaging in a demanding career that is often in direct opposition to realizing such indulgences. It is equal parts spiritual and physical. It is everything and it is nothing. It feeds the spirit to have the strength to carry on in other pursuits. It is grounding and uplifting at the same time. It is a continuum of emptying the cup and filling it and then becoming the vessel itself.

Last year after setting a new PR in the squat with endorphins raging and spirits elevated I decided to adhoc a few sets of Zercher Squats. Big, big mistake. Don't get me wrong Zercher Squats are an amazing exercise. On this day they were not on the agenda. While I do believe in going with the flow in training, what should have occurred at this time was to either finish out the scheduled sets or better yet, realize I was done for the day and celebrate in the euphoria of the moment by leaving the gym and enjoying a nourishing repast.

In life it is not always the first mistake that gets us into trouble. It sometimes takes a series or at least a follow-up mistake.
So as it was on this day. The Zerchers seemed heavier than usual as my back and legs had been righteously exhausted in setting the PR. But no, I would not be denied. I would push through this. I would will myself and just do it. I had not realized my form was suffering. Then .... POP. The bar dropped onto the rack as I felt something give way in my lumbar region which had a chain reaction down to my hip.

Note to self: Form is key. When a part of the chain is truly exhausted willing through it may not be the best thing if their is serious risk involved. I mean realize that there is a time to push and a time where further efforts have diminishing returns or are even counter productive. There is a time to recover and then hit it again.

Ok, long story short after an MRI, it was confirmed. A herniated disk. I will detail the specifics at another time, but this indeed was catestrophic. How would this effect me long term? Would I ever Squat again!? Should I even try?

This blog will chronicle my efforts in coming back from this event and what lead up to it. But I realize now it was more than just an event. On the one hand ... stuff happens. On the other, circumstances were such that perhaps made this inevitable.

It is important to note that my quest for staying along an optimal training path is as much about enjoying the proverbial journey as anything else. This may indeed run counter to maximizing my physical potential but frankly I just plain enjoy lifting. I absolutely look forward to Squat day. It is by far my favorite lifting day.

My head tells me there is really something good and virtuous and synergistic about CrossFit training. I do like their use of Olympic style movements and thank you Mark Rippetoe for bringing back the Military Press. I just may end up following down this road before it is all over. It seems very pragmatic.

While I choose to incorporate Hang Cleans and Overhead Squats into my training I am very much drawn to a Westside template and its underlying attitude. I also realize that I need to factor in enough periodic hypertrophy to keep building muscle.

So below is a list of trainers and sites where I get my key information and inspiration:

Jim Wendler ( Elite Fitness Systems )
Dave Tate ( Elite Fitness Systems )
Joe DeFranco ( DeFranco Training )
Louie Simmons ( Westside Barbell )
Mark Rippetoe ( Wichita Falls Athletic Club )


No comments:

Post a Comment