Tuesday, February 17, 2009

021709 -- ME Bench Press

Military or Seated Presses have always been a good warmup and weight acclimation exercise for my Bench days.

This is week one of Max Effort for Bench. I will be working up to an ME for five reps for the inital weeks and then move to two weeks of ME for 3 reps before two weeks of maxing.

WORKLOG


Seated Presses, Bench Press,
Close Grip Bench Press and Band Pulldowns

Warmup @ 0.5 2:29 1
______________________________
Seated Press ME:
135 lb x 5
140 lb x 4
145 lb x 3
150 lb x 2
______________________________
Bench Press ME5:
135 lb x 5
185 lb x 5
195 lb x 5
205 lb x 5
______________________________
Close Grip Bench Press ME5:
135 lb x 5
155 lb x 5
185 lb x 1
185 lb x 1
______________________________
Band Pulldowns RE: double monster
120 lb x 5
120 lb x 5
120 lb x 5
120 lb x 5
______________________________
Band Work:

Rear Delt Band Pulls RE: average x 10
Tricep Pull Aparts RE: monster x 10
Rotater Pull Aparts RE: monster x 10
Face Pulls RE:
average x 10


EPILOGUE

Close Grip Bench Presses felt more comfortable than Bench Presses. I think this points to some shoulder issues. More rehab and conditioning is called for. All weights felt 40 to 45 heavier than last year. I am also thinking that I am not arching as I was before the herniated disc. I know that Louie Simmons had to convert to a different style of Benching due to his back problems.
I generally prefer Metal Militia vs. Westside style for Benching. I will defer decisions in this area until further down the road. It should also be noted that my form right now is awful. Or, maybe I should say my setup is non existent. I was not establishing a proper base for pressing. Setting up properly will provide for a better arch.

When used I have done Close Grip Bench Presses before Bench Presses. Thus a pyramid of weight of Seated Presses, CGBP and Bench Press. Since that worked in the past I am going to revert back to this for a bit and see how I progress.

Post workout chest stretches, myofascial shoulder massage and icing yielded much popping of my left shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment