Saturday, February 14, 2009

021509 -- ME Squat Day

Week 2 Squat Day. Building up foundation due to layoff from last years herniated disc. ME Hang Cleans are used for active warmup, and for DE Deadlift speed work. ME Front Squats maintain a safe vertical stance and are a good prelude to Back Squats. So Front Squats will remain part of the pyramid for ME Squat Day indefinitely. Leg Presses will be used for hypertrophy work and will be cycled with Rack Pulls.

Thursday work will consist of alternating weeks of Bulgarian Squats / Over head Squats with Trap Bar Deadlifts. As things progress, I can see Hang Cleans moving to Thursday with Thursday becoming a speed lower body / core / prehab day.

WORKLOG

Front Squats, Light Squats and Rack Pulls

Warmup:
______________________________
Hang Cleans ME: warmup / speed deads
135 lbs x 2
135 lbs x 2
155 lbs x 2
155 lbs x 2
165 lbs x 1
______________________________
Front Squat ME:
135 lbs x 3
185 lbs x 3
205 lbs x 1
225 lbs x 1
______________________________
Light Squats ***TESTING BACK***:
225 lb x 5
275 lb x 5
315 lb x 1
______________________________
Rack Pulls ME: move to 4 ascending sets
315 lb x 1
405 lb x 1
______________________________
Leg Press RE: move to RE 20 reps
225 lb x 10
315 lb x 5
405 lb x 5


EPILOGUE

After the Hang Cleans and Front Squats, I decided to change up the plan for the day. I wanted to test out some relatively light weight on my back. So I did a few sets of squats to get the feel. In general, things felt good in my back. I could tell however that I am out of condition as I could feel the pressure on tendons and ligaments and on the posterior chain. Good stuff though. It felt good enough for me to schedule these light squats into my weekly routine working slowly towards a 5RM. I will annotate with ME5 for Max Effort 5.

I replaced the scheduled Leg Presses with Rack Pulls and light Leg Presses. I will alternate Leg Presses every other week with this combination. This should allow for reasonable hypertrophy and help bring the posterior chain back into condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment