Saturday, February 21, 2009

022209 -- Squat Day



This is the 3rd Squat Day in a row. It is the first week following a Thursday Deadlift Day. That is a milestone in itself in getting back into a routine.

Last weeks Squat routine saw me putting a relatively light weight on my back for the first time since the injury. The plan is to duplicate that effort with a small amount of progression in sets, reps and weight.

Instead of Rack Pulls this week, I will be doing some Leg Press RE work for hypertrophy and conditioning. Rack Pulls will be done on the Thursday Deadlift Day cycle from now on. Thursday will be the alternate cycle day bringing in Romanians and Rack Pulls. Therefore while this weeks Squat Day should be challenging I need to make sure I can recuperate by Thursday. I just need to push it hard but stay on script and I will be fine.


WORKLOG

Warmup:
______________________________
4-Stage Pulls DE: changed from hang cleans
135 lbs x 3
145 lbs x 2
155 lbs x 1
______________________________
Front Squats ME:
135 lbs x 3
185 lbs x 3
205 lbs x 1
225 lbs x 1
______________________________
Squats ME5: light weights
225 lb x 5
275 lb x 5
315 lb x 3
335 lb x 2 put on weight belt
365 lb x 1 added
405 lb x * Walkout and quarter squat
______________________________
Leg Press RE10:
225 lb x 10
315 lb x 10
405 lb x 7
405 lb x 7
405 lb x r skipped
405 lb x r skipped


EPILOGUE

Progressing ...

4-stage pulls - I got to thinking that when I was in high school weighing only 158 I could Clean and Press 205 and Snatch 165. Sure that was a very long time ago and I am not 17 any more. That said, I used to do 4-stage pulls regularly then so I thought I would bring them back. They are a great warmup movement at the very least. I just flat like the feel of them as far as coordination goes. I see these as Dynamic Effort for the Deadlift.

front squats - nothing dramatic here, but I was reaching good depth and had plenty of control.

squats - Added reps, sets and weight like I had planned, but I went a bit further with a single at 365 and then did a walkout at 405 with a quarter squat to get the feel. Used a Spud Deadlifting belt on 335 and for the rest of the workout.

leg presses - Cut short, but the switch to 4-stage pulls and the added squat volume impacted here. I actually did not gut through this because I was feeling an uncharacteristic feeling in my right knee. Nothing much, but I think it has to do with how low I do leg presses. I need to evaluate. I dropped static stretching this week prior to lower body workouts. My right quad has been a little tight so I will make sure I get some static stretching in today and on off days. In addition I may just use knee wraps when I leg press.


No comments:

Post a Comment